Sunday 8 January 2012

A New Year means New Year Resolutions

It's been a long time since I've made any New Year's Resolutions. But I had a rubbish start to today (nothing major and it's all OK now) and so I went on a trip to a nearby temple to re-zen myself! While I was there I got a little philosophical, and when lovely Stacey told me she has just made some New Year's Resolutions, I thought it sounded like a good idea!

1. To re-find myself.
       Don't worry, I'm not turning that Buddhist just yet, it's just that the two years haven't been great. There's been lots of amazing times, but apart from when I was travelling last year, I haven't really felt like I've had many interests or exciting things that I do or I like. I want to re-find all the things that I used to enjoy, and hopefully find some things ones too. I want to make the most of doing the things I enjoy!

2. To continue studying Japanese.
       It's going slowly but I want to improve my Japanese as much as possible this year. I don't want to be like lots of people and get here and just give up because I can manage. I want to be able to understand what's going on and to really try to improve as much as I can.

3. To make the most of all the opportunities that come up, and make opportunities for myself too.
       I'm very good at sitting on facebook, looking at other people's photos and being jealous of what they're doing. What I'm not very good at doing is realising that if I'm sitting on facebook, I'm not going to be doing exciting things! I'm in a new, amazing country and I'm determined to make the most of it this year. They'll still be lots of chilled out internet time I'm sure, but hopefully only when I want there to be, not because I'm turning down opportunities.

4. To make new friends, but keep the old.
         As well as being a cheesy Guiding song, I want this to be true for me this year. I'm really looking forward to meeting people and making friends in Japan, but nobody can ever replace all my fantastic friends from England, and I want to be sure I don't forget that!



4 simple resolutions. I'm sure even I can manage that :D 

3 comments:

  1. Well I may not do so well on the learning Japanese resolution, but all the others could go for me too! Perhaps we should have a monthly review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to learn a little Japanese or you'll be lost when you get here! I'll make you a simple crash course of what you need to know!

      Delete
    2. Yes please - I didn't do very well on learning arabic in Morocco :(

      Delete